Monday 7 August 2017

Day 170: Switzerland and Hörnligratin


Grüezi Raffies!

Today we are going to Switzerland and we are going to make a dish my grandma used to make me when I was little. After her, my mom took up making this dish for me and, as a kid, I loved it. I guess I ate too much of it during my childhood, so that now I don't really die for Hörnligratin anymore.
I think most kids love baked pasta. For myself, for instance, the absolute highlight was to eat the cheese crust that forms on top.
So, on my mom's birthday, goes the Hörnligratin's family recipe:

500 g Hörnli (any type of maccheroncini like pasta)
200 g ham, thinly sliced or diced
300 g sour cream
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 onion, thinly diced (my mom used to skip it for me, because I did not like onions as a 5-year old)
200 ml milk
120 g cheese, grated
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp paprika powder
nutmeg

Start by boiling the Hörnli in salted water, but be careful not to wait until they are done. They should still be halfway raw. Drain and set aside.
Mix the ham, milk, sour cream, garlic and onions in a bowl. Add the paprika powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir well.
Heat the oven at 180° C. In a form for lasagne, pour the Hörnli, pour the mixture with the ham on top. Add a good amount of cheese on top of that and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. The cheese should be golden brown. Serve and enjoy!


My husband, who as a Japanese is not familiar with these small treats for kids in the Alps, really enjoyed it. So did I, for it brought me back 20 years.

Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment