Sunday 6 August 2017

Day 169: Sweden and Köttbullar


God kvall, Raffies!

We are going to Sweden today and we are making the most famous dish there is: Köttbullar.
At first, I didn't want to make Swedish meatballs, but then I have come to realise that my husband had never had any Swedish meatballs and that I would be doing Sweden on a Sunday. Tonight's dish is a quite common Sunday's dish in Sweden, at least I have always eaten it on Sundays whenever I was in Sweden or was at Swedish friends'.

There are different variations to the recipe. Some grate the onions, some chop them. Sometimes you get a thick brown gravy with your meatballs, sometimes you get them plain or with the meat juices that are left in the pan.
The meat can also vary, some like it fattier, others skip the pork. The ingredients that you'd better not skip are milk, breadcrumbs and the lingonberry jam with it.


For those of you who would like to dive some more into the Swedish cuisine, I really enjoyed this website. So here comes my take on Köttbullar with a recipe I got from friends of my mom:

500 g ground mixed pork and beef
250 ml milk
75 g breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 onion, chopped
salt
pepper
nutmeg
butter

Start by heating some butter in a pan and sautéing the onions until soft, not brown.
Combine the milk and the breadcrumbs in a bowl.
In a pot combine the berries with sugar and add enough water to almost cover the mixture. Bring to a boil and cook on low heat while constantly stirring, until it thickens. Add the ground meat, onions, egg and the spices. Mix well and work until it has a smooth consistency.
Shape the meatballs. Usually they are not more than 3 cm of diametre.
Now heat some butter in a skillet and fry your meatballs on all sides.
Serve with boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy. Don't forget the lingonberries and enjoy!

For the homemade lingonberry jam:

100 g lingonberries
2-4 tbsp sugar
water


My meat-loving husband enjoyed it very much and ate most of the meatballs himself. Guess it was a success?


Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment