Saturday 5 August 2017

Day 168: Swaziland and Slaai


Good evening, Raffies!

Today we are going to Swaziland. To all of you avocado lovers out there, we are going to make Slaai! This is a Swazi avocado slaw.

Swazi cuisine uses few traditional ingredients like goat meat, corn flour, sorghum grains, peanuts, beans and pumpkin and few more vegetables. Porridge, stew and corn on cob are among the most widespread dishes. Biltong, for instance, is a common dried meat, that could be compared to jerky, to give you an idea.

Since porridge is a staple food in Swaziland, it is found for all meals. Sour porridge made with fermented cornmeal, fresh milk and cornmeal, porridge made from sorghum, corn of sorghum and sour cream made into a porridge. Pick your favourite. Most of the time, it is served with some meat, mostly goat or beef, and vegetables.


The Dutch word "sla", which means "salad", could be the origin of this name, even though no Afrikaans is spoken in Swaziland.

The recipe is really easy:

3 avocadoes, peeled and diced
1 lime, juice
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
100 g peanuts, chopped
salt

Mix the avocado, lime juice, ginger and salt. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with the peanuts and serve with salad leaves.


Of course I enjoyed it. Since I love avocado, I happily welcomed a new idea for an avocado salad!

In the end I wanted to share a few sad facts about Swaziland that I feel are important to be shared. Swaziland is the country that has been absolutely devastated by AIDS. It has the highest HIV infection rate in the world and AIDS is among the most common causes of death in the country. Swaziland has the lowest life expectancy, due to this, with an average of 32 years. These numbers left me speechless. I know this is not closely related to my culinary adventure, but I had to share this information that is still shocking me.


Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment