Wednesday 17 May 2017

Day 90: Kiribati and Palusami (Coconut creamed spinach)


Good evening, Raffies!

Today we are going to Kiribati. After having had a wonderful almost summery day here in Breda, Netherlands, we are going to enjoy some traditional food from Kiribati.

This was the first time I have ever bought corned beef in my entire life! The dish was really simple:
spinach, corned beef, a thinly chopped onion, a can of coconut milk, salt and pepper. Cook it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 180°C and you are done. Serve it with rice, taro or potatoes.

The dish is to be found all over the Central Pacific.Traditionally, you use young taro leaves, instead of spinach and wrap the ingredients in big taro leaves and steam the whole package. Unfortunately, taro leaves were not to be found. The result was creamy spinach with the salty flavour of the corned beef.

For some reason, corned beef reminded me very much of my cat's food. However, I must say that I enjoyed its simplicity.


Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment