Tuesday 21 March 2017

Day 32: Cameroon with Ndole or bitter leaf soup

Good evening, Raffies!

Tonight I had to prepare everything before going to school and leave it to simmer on a low fire.
We were going to Cameroon and we were going to try a dish I had been eager to try for a long time: Bitter leaf soup.

True to its name, bitter leaf is very very bitter. It is often used as a tea when you feel sick in your stomach. To my experience, it really helps along when you have an intestinal virus to ease up the peristaltic movements.

Well, in order to be able to use this as a vegetable, you need to wash the bitter leaf thoroughly before starting. This part of the recipe is very boring, but essential if you do not want to drown in bitterness.

The rest is quite straight forward and I must say that the flavour is really good with the prawns and peanut paste.



For the recipe, I have followed this version of the soup by washing the bitter leaf thoroughly before I started cooking, in order to remove some of the bitterness. Apparently, if you cannot find bitter leaf, you can use some spinach or kale.

Good night!

Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment