Tuesday 1 August 2017

Day 164: Spain and tortilla de patatas


Buenas tardes, Raffies!

We are going to Spain and I wanted to make the one dish that I think everyone should know about. As it seems, tortilla de patatas is not much known outside of Spain. Mostly people speak about Paella when talking about Spanish cuisine. However, to me, the most iconic dish is tortilla de patatas.
It is a very simple food, that resembles an omelette, but is made out of eggs and potatoes. After this basic recipe, you can add other vegetables like onions, peppers, mushrooms, chorizo, etc.

I learnt to make tortilla from my good Spanish friend's mom.
You'll need:

4 potatoes
2 onions
2-3 eggs
olive oil
salt
pepper

Start by chopping or slicing the peeled potatoes and onions very thinly. The smaller you cut it, the easier it will be.
Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the onions and potatoes until soft. Stir often in order not to burn them. Once they are soft, transfer them in a bowl. Mix the eggs with the onions and potatoes.
In the pan, heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Pour in the mixture to cover the whole bottom and pan, to make a fat pancake. Fry until there until most of the liquid egg is cooked and you are ready to flip it. Now take a plate, cover the pan with the plate facing down into the pan and flip. Slide the tortilla back into the pan and cook for a few more minutes. Be careful not to burn it.
Now you can put it on a serving plate. Salt and pepper it and enjoy!


When I got my wisdom teeth removed, tortilla was the only thing I could happily chew without chewing ;) I love it! My big favourite is the one with onions.

For tonight's dinner I also made Patatas Bravas for you, guys:

3 potatoes, in wedges
olive oil
paprika powder
chili powder
flour
cumin powder
salt
bouillon cube
1 onion, thinly chopped

Start by preparing the sauce. In a pan, fry the onions in olive oil until soft. Add 1 tbsp flour and mix well. Add 1 tbsp paprika powder, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and some salt. Mix and add the bouillon cube. Cover with water and let it boil for a few minutes. Some of the water should evaporate.
Transfer into a glass or bowl and shred. Set the sauce aside
Now deep-fry the potatoes in olive oil and place on some paper to drain.
Serve the potatoes by covering them with the sauce. You can serve with some jamón serrano, if you have it. Enjoy!


I miss my summers spent in Spain..when I was back in school, I used to spend my summers in Bilbao..feels like so long ago..


Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment