Saturday 26 August 2017

Day 189: Uruguay and Chivito


Buenas tardes, Raffies!

Today we are going to Uruguay and we are going to enjoy its national dish: Chivito.
It is a sandwich with churrasco (filet mignon), bacon, ham, egg, mozzarella, tomatoes and salad. Usually, accompanied by chips as a side dish. It is incredibly filling! The filling of the sandwich can have as many variations as you like. You can add cucumbers, pickles, more meat, onions and much more.

The name comes from Chivo, which means goat, since the first sandwich contained goat meat, as the legend tells.

In my version, I used halal ham and bacon, since I tend to get a horrible allergic reaction to pork and therefore try to avoid it as much as possible. But I found great turkey ham and some horse bacon!

The recipe is really simple. Here is what I used for my version:

2 buns
2 slices of churrasco, filet mignon
2 slices of bacon
2 slices of ham
2 eggs, fried or boiled
mayonnaise
2 slices of salad
1 tomato, slices
2 mozzarella slices
chips

I started by making my mayonnaise at home like I always do. Just mix an egg yolk with a bit of lemon juice, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, salt and olive oil until thick. I usually mix all the ingredients without the olive oil first with a fork and then gradually add the olive oil, until I have the needed amount.

Heat your bread in the oven. Half it and spread the mayonnaise on one half. Add all the ingredients and serve with your chips. Enjoy!


This sandwich was first invented in 1940 by AntonioCarbonaro, a restaurant owner in Punta del Este. Similar variations of this sandwich also exist in Argentina, Paraguay and Bolivia, called lomito and in Brasil you have the baurú.
It is a great idea for a quick meal or whenever you need to pack something for a heavy lunch. My husband obviously loved it! :)


Love,

Raffi

No comments:

Post a Comment